Saturday, February 16, 2008

Epson Picturemate Dash

For Christmas I bought my mother a digital camera and printer. At first I was going to go with a Kodak bundle. The printers had good reviews, but the cameras didn't. Then I thought about an HP bundle. The cameras had good reviews, but the printers didn't. At that point I said skip the bundles and find a good printer and a good camera, separately. For the printer I ended up going with an Epson Picturemate Dash. It's the latest in the Picturemate series, new for 2007. The printer was very easy to set up. It comes with an initial ink cartridge. It doesn't last very long though, so make sure to buy a spare one. It also comes with a packet of 4x6 paper. The printer has memory card slots on the front. The following memory cards are supported: CompactFlash® (Type I and II), Secure Digital (SD™), SDHC™, MMC, Memory Stick®, Microdrive® (Type M/H) and xD-Picture Card™. You just insert the ink cartridge, paper and memory card. Turn the printer on, go through some initialization steps and you're good to go. You can either print from the printer using the memory card or from the camera directly if it is PictBridge enabled.
The largest available print size is 4x6. If you want a bigger print size, it looked like you would have to go with a full sized computer printer. I wanted a printer which wouldn't require a computer. Other print sizes available include wallet size, mini-wallets, jumbo-wallets, U.S. passport size, 2" x 2" – 3" x 3" square photos, portrait packages (four per page and ten per page) and proof sheet.
The print quality is very good. I was quite impressed. I'm sure if you are a professional photographer you could detect flaws, but for a home photo lab, the photo quality is excellent.
I was also impressed with the size the printer. It is very small. I was surprised when I opened the box it comes in. The printer is half the size of the box. A very portable printer.
The LCD is huge at 3.6 inches which makes it nice to view images. You can even crop, remove red eye, add color effects all from the printer.
The printer is very fast. Apparently it takes about 37 sec to print a borderless 4x6 photo.
Photos are also supposed to be smudge, scratch, water and fade resistant for over 200 years.
Anyways, I highly recommend the Epson Picturemate Dash, if you are looking for a good quality, compact printer for a home photo lab, which does not require a computer. It sells for around $100.00. You can get it at Amazon.com, no tax, no shipping for $99.00.
Check out this link for my review of the camera I bought to go with the printer. It too is excellent.

No comments: