Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Wiflyer

Well, the Wiflyer I ordered came today and it is awesome! A wireless internet connection using dial up. So cool! I was amazed at how small the wiflyer is. It's about 3" x 5" x 3/4". Small and compact. All you do is plug it in to an electrical outlet and plug in the supplied phone cord to the phone jack on the wall. My laptop automatically detected wiflyer's wireless network. One thing to make sure of is to close all mail applications such as eudora, outlook etc. and close all browsers and reboot just to be safe. Next, you open up a web browser. It automatically takes you to the wiflyer configuration page where you choose your isp, access number, isp username and password. Save that & hit dial. One thing to note, when you select an access number from the supplied list, the number dialed will include the area code. I couldn't get through, so once I deleted the area code I was able to connect. One thing I like is, the wiflyer tells you at what speed you are connected. The wiflyer has an init string with some predefined values for tweaking the speed. I need to play around with it some more. The fastest I could get was 19200. I only tried a couple of the options though, so I hope I can get it a little faster. It's still not bad though. Definitely usable.
I can't connect to the wiflyer using my desktop yet though. I have to install a network card. I bought a $15 wired card at Walmart. I bought a wired card only because my desktop and wiflyer are in the same location & I don't forsee moving either one. You never though, someday I may need to break down & get a wireless card.
Anyways, if you are stuck with dial up & want to go wireless, I highly recommend the wiflyer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ice Princess. I too have a WiFlyer that I like, but their web site seems to be abandoned and I can't find my manual to figure out what the original administration password is. Can you e-mail me at mariahbirgen@yahoo.com?