Monday, November 7, 2011

Natural Health Nutrition vs. Medical Industry

Since being laid off back in February, I've had time to reflect on my career choice of software developer and whether I should stay on that path, or choose something else. I came to the conclusion that I want to continue on this path.
One area I have become interested in though is the natural health and nutrition field. It's an area I prefer to keep as a hobby, rather than a career choice. I started learning about nutrition when my oldest son was born nine weeks early seven years ago and have continued learning even more as the boys have gotten older. Two years ago I was diagnosed as being on the verge of diabetes, even though I wasn't overweight and didn't really have any risk factors. It forced me to apply my natural health and nutrition knowledge to myself though. There is a lot of information out there on the internet. Some useful, some not, but it all basically says the same thing: eat fresh, local, organic fruits and vegetables, a couple servings per day of whole grains, a little dairy and lean meats, exercise, get enough rest and cut out high fructose corn syrup and all other artificial sweeteners and chemicals. Focusing on low glycemic foods is also important for stabilizing the blood sugar. My point of view is that I would much rather spend money on healthy food, vitamins and feel better, than spend money on junk food, medication and feel like crap.
Since my low glycemic, mediterranean diet change, my cholesterol and blood sugar numbers are much lower. I have way more energy, my head is clearer and I feel much better. The advice all the health gurus give, actually works. Imagine that.
I hate doctors and hospitals. Spending a week in the hospital when my water broke ten weeks early when I was pregnant with my oldest son, and constantly being poked and prodded by doctors in their http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/categories/Scrubs/Scrubs-for-Men/ and nurses in uniform was enough for me.
Medications are also full of weird chemicals, have side effects and often lead to other illnesses that will require yet another type of medication, which in turn will lead to another illness and more medication. So far, I haven't had any weird side effects from eating fruits and vegetables.
If there's something I can do to avoid the medical industry, then I'm more than willing to give it a try.

No comments: